Preventive dental care is the ultimate key to keeping your teeth healthy throughout your lifetime. Good oral health impacts your general health as well. Preventive dental care and treatments are all about addressing an oral concern before it gets worse. Procedures such as dental cleaning, examinations, and fluoride treatments prevent the onset of any serious oral disease, while also helping to diagnose and treat any existing dental conditions on time.
What Are the Benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
- Preventive dentistry and dental care lower your risk of developing gum disease, tooth decay, and other serious dental problems.
- Preventive dental care promotes good oral care habits like brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day.
- This field of dentistry helps in the early identification of dental problems that may help minimize the cost of treatment.
- Preventive dental care also helps reduce your dental problems related to various chronic medical conditions such as osteoporosis, diabetes, some cancers, and eating disorders.
What Do Preventive Dental Services Include?
During this procedure, we clean the accumulation of plaque and tartar from the surfaces of your teeth. The procedure is divided into two parts – scaling and root planing. Both of these steps ensure that your gum line and teeth remain free from the buildup of calculus. Visit us for teeth cleanings twice a year to maintain your oral health.
Fluoride treatment is a popular preventive dental treatment for children. We apply a fluoride-based gel on their teeth to strengthen their enamel and keep cavities at bay.
- Dental X-rays and Examinations
We use different X-rays, such as bitewing X-rays, intraoral X-rays, etc., during your dental examination. Upon finding any problem, we begin your treatment, hence stopping the condition from worsening. People of all age groups should opt for dental examination twice a year.
What’s My Role in Preventive Dental Care?
A portion of preventive dental care starts with you. All you need to do is develop healthy dental habits early in life. When you follow a proper oral hygiene routine regularly, you keep many oral conditions like gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, and infections at bay.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Reach out to the inside of your teeth and brush at least for 3 minutes.
- Floss daily after eating to remove the food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash to prevent bad breath.
- Avoid the consumption of acidic foods and drinks as they harm your tooth enamel.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or consume any tobacco products as they may lead to serious oral diseases like oral cancer.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Picacho Family Dental, call (928) 344-3177 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 3325 S Ave 8 E Suite 4, Yuma, AZ 85365.